A TIMELINE OF NOTABLE EVENTS
October 26th, 1908 –Walter R. Dunlap was elected to serve as the 1st Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Department.
November 9th, 1908 –W. D. Rhudy was elected as Assistant Fire Chief “with authority to take charge of the department in the absence of Chief W. R. Dunlap”.
September 13th, 1909 –At this time the Elizabethton Fire Department was comprised of 3 Hose Carts and 38 volunteers, including: Chief W. R. Dunlap, Assistant Chief W. D. Rhudy, 3 Captains, 3 Lieutenants and 30 Fireman.
May 12th, 1913 –W. D. Rhudy was elected to serve as the 2nd Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
June 23rd, 1913 –At this time the Elizabethton Fire Department was made up of 3 Hose Company’s and 1 Hook & Ladder Company, with a roster of 30 volunteers, including Chief Rhudy, 4 Captains, 4 Assistant Captains and 21 Firemen.
June 22nd, 1914 –At this time there were 40 fire hydrants installed within the Corporate City limits.
May 26th, 1915 –C. Brad Rosenbaum was elected to serve as the 3rd Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
October 23rd, 1916 –D. E. Geisler was elected to serve as the 4th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
March 12th, 1917 –Samuel A. Fondren was elected to serve as the 5th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
May 28th, 1917 –Jerry B. Fair was elected to serve as the 6th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
August 28th, 1918 –At this time there were 55 fire hydrants installed within the Corporate City limits.
December 9th, 1918 –Samuel A. Fondren was once again elected to serve as Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Department upon the untimely death of Chief Fair.
March 10th, 1919 –At this time the Elizabethton Fire Department had 29 members, including Fire Chief Samuel A. Fondren, Assistant Fire Chief Robert S. Bradshaw, and Hook & Ladder Captain Charles Hampton.
October 25th, 1920 –Bill White was elected to serve as the 7th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
August 17th, 1922 –Jesse W. Large was appointed by the City Manager to serve as the 8th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
1923 –EFD took delivery of their 1st motorized firefighting apparatus, a 1923 Ford Model-T Chemical and Hose Truck.
April, 1927 –EFD moved into their first Fire Department housing, upstairs of the new Elizabethton City Municipal Building. There was a fire pole to the bay below, which was just wide enough for 2 fire trucks. Up until this time, there had been no actual housing for the Fire Dept. and the fire truck had been stored at the City Garage.
January, 1928 –Roy R. Hathaway became the 9th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
January, 1928 –EFD took delivery of their 2nd motorized firefighting apparatus, an open-cab 1927 American La France Pumper.
January 15th, 1928 –A downtown fire on Elk Avenue completely gutted Miles Department Store and Atwood Five and Ten Cent Store.
January, 1929 –EFD hired its 1st full-time paid Fireman/Engineer, John L. Wilson.
September 1st, 1929 -EFD now had 2 full-time paid members with the election of Dana Reynolds and Gene Nave as Engineers and Firemen upon the resignation of John L. Wilson.
August, 1933 –Chief Hathaway had 18 firemen under his command at this time, including 2 full-time paid firemen and 16 volunteers.
July 2nd, 1937 –Bailey E. Williams was elected to serve as the 10th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
June 10th, 1938 –Mark M. Fletcher was elected to serve as the 11th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
November 13th, 1938 –EFD now had 3 full-time “regular” firemen upon the election of W. Pat Bowers as a paid member of the Fire Dept.
November, 1938 –The Carter County Courthouse suffered an estimated $25,000 worth of fire damage.
June 19th, 1941 –Mark Fletcher, who was already serving as Fire Chief, was elected to the position full-time. Chief Fletcher was paid $105.00 per month as fire Chief, which was only $5.00 more than the salary of other full-time paid firemen. Chief Fletchers promotion to full-time status increased EFD’s roster to 4 full-time paid firemen.
August 17th, 1944 –John L. Wilson was elected to serve as the 12th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
October 19th, 1944 –City Council agreed to employ an extra full-time paid fireman so that all employees of the Fire Department may have one day off per week. This increased the EFD roster to 5 full-time firemen.
May 15th, 1947 –Dana Reynolds was elected to serve as the 13th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
1948 –EFD took delivery of their 3rd motorized Fire Apparatus, an open-cab 1948 American La France Foamite Pumper.
June, 1956 –At this time, EFD employed 6 full-time paid firemen and 24 volunteers.
1957 –EFD purchased its first S.C.B.A. (self contained breathing apparatus) airpacks.
August 15th, 1957 –Dennis Younce became the 14th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
1958 –At this time, EFD employed 8 full-time paid firemen and 14 volunteers.
December 27th, 1958 –Flames destroyed the historic Power City Mills on North Sycamore Street.
1960 –EFD purchased a 1960 Ford-American La France Pumper truck.
1961 –At this time EFD employed 10 full-time firemen, including Chief Younce, Captain Alvin Kyte, and Captain Walter Morris.
1961 –EFD moved into its first true "Fire Station" at the corner of S. Sycamore St. and Hattie Ave. This station still serves as EFD headquarters today.
1966 –EFD took delivery of its 1st Aerial Apparatus, a 1966 Ford-American La France Ladder Truck.
1968 –EFD purchased a used 1963 Chevrolet-American La France Pumper truck, from the Newport, TN. Utility District.
1970 –6 new firemen were hired for increased staffing upon the opening of Station 2, increasing the number of full-time paid firemen from 11 to 17.
1970 –EFD Station #2 officially opened, housing 2 men per shift, 1 frontline pumper and 1 reserve pumper.
July, 1970 –Bill Carter was promoted to become EFD’s 1st full-time paid Assistant Fire Chief, increasing the number of full-time paid men from 17 to 18.
December 27th, 1971 –An E. Elk Avenue fire destroyed 2 downtown businesses, the Western Auto and C & L stores.
January 16th, 1972 –Two more E. Elk Avenue businesses, the Jennings-Honeycutt Insurance and Real Estate building and Red’s Bargain Barn, were gutted by a downtown fire. The Drapery Shop and several businesses in the Dungan Arcade building also received water and smoke damage.
1972 –EFD purchased a 1972 Ford American La France Pumper truck.
April 13th, 1972 –Big Chief, EFD's official fire dog, passed away. Big Chief was born July 4th, 1958 and was adopted by EFD when he was about 10 weeks old.
1974 –6 new full-time firemen were hired for additional staffing when EFD adopted its current 3-shift rotating schedule, increasing its manpower from 18 to 24 full-time paid firemen.
1980 –The old Franklin Club was completely destroyed by fire.
November 8th, 1980 –The Bemberg Plant caught fire, completely destroying the west wing.
September 25th, 1980 –EFD purchased its 1st Brush Truck, a 1980 ¾ ton Chevrolet pickup truck equipped with a 250 gallon water tank and a 250 GPM auxiliary driven fire pump.
1981 –EFD’s roster of full-time paid firemen increased from 24 to 25 when Ronnie Callahan was hired as a floater to rotate between shifts as needed.
March 1st, 1982 –Bill Carter became the 15th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Dept.
1982 –Bill Miller was promoted from the rank of Captain to Assistant Fire Chief.
1982 –Mack Elliott became EFD’s 2nd Fire Marshall upon the retirement of the departments 1st Fire Marshall, Clarence “Bounce” Carter, who had been with the department for 30 years.
October, 1983 –EFD took delivery of a 1983 Pierce Pumper Truck.
December 31st, 1983 –The Capital Theater on East Elk Avenue was completely destroyed by fire.
February 3rd, 1984 –A fire originating from 524 East E Street destroyed two Downtown businesses; Pioneer Furniture Mart and Peter’s Used Furniture.
October 5th, 1988 –The historic Saint Thomas Episcopal Church, located at 815 Second Street, suffered heavy damage to the sanctuary from a 7:00 AM fire.
November 22nd, 1988 –The most tragic event in EFD history occurred when a 2 story residential structure fire at 109 S. Roan Street claimed the lives of 5 Elizabethton youth.
1991 –Elizabethton Fire Dept. phased out its volunteer firefighting origins. The last 2 EFD volunteer firemen were William “Bill” Bowling and Floyd “Chick” Hodge.
1991 –EFD purchased its 2nd Brush Truck, a 1991 Chevrolet tandem wheel truck equipped with a 250 gallon water tank and 250 GPM pump.
1991 –EFD’s roster expanded from 25 to 26 firemen when Mike Shouse was promoted to become the Departments 1st (and only) full-time paid Training & Safety Officer.
April 13th, 1993 –Sonny’s Sunshine Market, 825 North Lynn Avenue, burned to the ground. The building housed a convenience store downstairs and apartments upstairs.
1993 -EFD took delivery of a new 1993 Pierce Dash Pumper Truck.
1993 -EFD expanded it roster from 26 to 27 firemen when Fire Chief Bill Carter agreed to eliminate the Training & Safety Officer position in exchange for 2 more full-time Firemen. This elimination took place when Assistant Chief Bill Miller retired and Training & Safety Officer Mike Shouse was promoted to Assistant Chief.
February 24th, 1997 –EFD hired 6 new firemen in anticipation of the opening of Station #3. This brought our roster up from 27 to 33 firemen, including 10 firemen per shift and 3 men on day shift. We still maintain this same staffing today.
1997 –EFD purchased a 1997 International-Pierce Responder Pumper Truck.
November 26th, 1997 –EFD officially dedicated and opened Fire Station #3 -The Bill Carter Fire Station.
December 1st, 1997 –Mike Shouse became the 16th Chief of the Elizabethton Fire Department.
December 1st, 1997 –Large fire at North American Rayon Corporation.
January 7th & 8th, 1998 –Carter County was ravaged by “The Flood of ’98”, which resulted in 7 fatalities, over 215 homes destroyed with over 200 other properties receiving damage, and over $20 million worth of total damage. Carter County had just experienced a severe blizzard, which was quickly followed by unseasonably high temperatures and up to 16” of rainfall, both of which rapidly melted the snow causing instant flood conditions. The Doe River rose 3’ above flood stage in Elizabethton. EFD was active that night conducting rescues, evacuations, and hazard assessments in the East end of the City.
1998 –EFD purchased its 2nd Aerial Apparatus, a 1998 Pierce Dash 75’ Aerial Ladder Truck.
1999 –At this time there were approximately 375 fire hydrants in service within the City limits.
February 25th through March 8th, 2000 –The North American Corporation Fires. Click here for more information.
2000 –EFD purchased a 2000 International-Pierce Responder Pumper.
2004 –EFD purchased a 2004 Pierce Contender Pumper.
December 31st, 2007 –EFD responded to more than 400 calls for the first time in Department history, with 401 toal calls.
2008 –EFD purchased its 3rd Brush Truck, a 2008 Ford F550 equipped with a 250 gallon water tank and 250 GPM pump.
November 1st, 2008 –Deputy Chief Jim Hartley became EFD's 17th Fire Chief when he was named as the Interim Fire Chief until a proper process could be conducted to appoint a new Fire Chief upon the unexpected retirement of Chief Shouse.
December 1st, 2008 –Barry Carrier became the 18th Chief in the history of the Elizabethton Fire Department. Chief Carrier had spent the previous 9 years serving as the Departments 3rd Fire Marshall.
2009 –Jack Buckles was promoted to the rank Fire Marshal Captain, making him the 4th Fire Marshal in department history.
December 31st, 2009 –EFD set a new record for most calls ran in a year with 494 total calls.
December 31st, 2011 –EFD responded to more than 500 calls for the first time in Department history. Average response time for the 515 total calls on the year was 3.22 minutes, with an average response time of 2.3 min. on emergency calls.
April 11th, 2012 –EFD took delivery of it's newest apparatus, a 2012 Pierce Pumper.
November 2013 –The City of Elizabethton now has over 525 fire hydrants inside the city limits.
December 31st, 2013 –EFD responded on 530 total calls, setting a new department record.
December 31st, 2014 –EFD responded on 594 total calls, setting a new department record for the second consecutive year.
November 2nd, 2015 –Andy Hardin was promoted to the rank of Fire Marshal Captain, making him the 5th Fire Marshal in Department history
December 31st, 2015 –EFD responded to more than 600 calls for the first time in Department history, with 613 total calls. This marked the 3rd consecutive year and the 4th time in 5 years that EFD had set a new Department record for total calls responded on within a single year